Edwin A. Glenn, Co. E, 3rd Pennsylvania Reserves

Bates, Samuel P., Martial Deeds of Pennsylvania. Pg. 454-455

Edwin A. Glenn
Edwin A. Glenn, seen here is a Lieutenant in the Desilver Grays of Holmesburg, near Philadelphia Pa. They were Company E, 3rd Pennsylvania Reserves.

EDWIN ATLEE GLENN, Major of the One Hundred and Ninety-eighth regiment, was born on the 4th of July, 1835, at Frankford, Pennsylvania. He was the son of Robert and Sarah (Thomas) Glenn. In youth he had a fondness for mathematics, and an ambition to excel in whatever he undertook. The more intricate the subject, the greater his pleasure in mastering it. Upon the formation of the Third Reserve regiment, he volunteered as a private, and at the close of his three years’ term was mustered out as Lieutenant, participating in all the battles of the campaign upon the Peninsula, Second Bull Run, South Mountain, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Cloyd Mountain and New River. Returning home he was selected by the Union League of Philadelphia as Major of the One Hundred and Ninety-eighth regiment, which they were assisting to recruit. His gallantry in connection with this body was conspicuous. The battle of Quaker Road was commenced by several companies under his immediate leadership. Early in the fight Colonel Sickel was wounded, when the entire command devolved upon him. In the action at Gravelly Run, on the 31st of March, he particularly distinguished himself. The regiment was ordered to charge across an open field where it was much exposed to the enemy’s fire. It was necessary for the regiment to advance from the swamp and wood where it lay into open ground to form. It had no sooner emerged than the enemy opened from his works a withering fire. Major Glenn saw that it was a most critical moment. He ran down to the centre of the regiment, grasped the colors, and started out upon the field, crying, “Men, follow me!” They did follow, and, sweeping across the field, carried the enemy’s works. At Five Forks, on the 1st of April, the fighting was renewed with great vigor. A portion of the Union troops had been beaten back, when General Chamberlain came riding up to Major Glenn, and cried out, “Major, if you can take those works,” pointing to the place whence the Union troops had been driven, “and keep them, I will promote you on the field.” “Boys! “exclaimed Glenn, “will you follow me?” With a wild shout they responded their assent, and the frowning works were taken. After having driven the enemy, the Major was the first to enter. Waving his sword and shouting to the men under his command to cease firing, he advanced and seized the colors of the enemy, and when they were just fairly within his grasp, a shot fired by one of his own men struck him in the abdomen, and he fell mortally wounded. He died four days afterward. A companion in arms says of him “He was a military student in active service; for he was always studying. A thorough tactician, a strict disciplinarian, a pure patriot, a brave soldier, and a kind-hearted and genial companion, in whom his command had the most implicit confidence; by his death the country lost the services of one worthy the cause he died to defend.” The Union League, under whose auspices he last went to the field, united in an appreciative tribute to his memory, and asked the privilege of erecting a monument over his remains.

Edwin A. Glenn
Edwin Atlee Glenn, photographed in this copyshot of a wartime image as Major of the 198th Pennsylvania Volunteers.
City Letter Carrier at USPS | augustmarchetti1980@gmail.com | Website | + posts

Currently a resident of Burke, Virginia - I'm originally from the City of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I have been a student of the Pennsylvania Reserves since 1997 and thoroughly enjoy telling their story. By trade I'm a former IT Professional but presently working as a Letter Carrier for the United States Postal Service.