Francis Schelling, Co. E, 12th Pennsylvania Reserves

His father was born in Wurtemburg, Germany, in 1800 or 1801. Came to Philadelphia about 1815, in which city he followed the trade of shoemaker. About 1828 married Miss Mary Piral, of Bethlehem, Pa., who came from the old Moravian stock. From this union nine children were born. Captain Schelling being the eldest. He was born May 7th, 1829, at Philadelphia. His parents had little of this world’s goods’ therefore they could give their children only a common school education. Four brothers served in the late war. One was killed at Fredericksburg. Captain Schelling remained with his parents, and served bis time as apprentice at house and sign painting. February 9th, 1847, he enlisted as a private in Eleventh U. S. Infantry, and was sent with a detachment to Fort McHenry, Baltimore; remained there with 300 officers and men for three weeks, when embarked on bark Paoila for Vera Cruz, Mexico.

The enlistment was for three years or the war ; he was assigned to Company “H,” Eleventh United States Infantry, commanded by Captain F. Fippen, regiment commanded by Colonel Graham.

Landed at Vera Cruz after the city had been captured by General Scott; remained there till 9th or 10th of April, when he continued with his command to city of Mexico. “After a good deal of fighting with the enemy, this command reached the city and captured it.” Colonel Graham was killed at Molino del Rey. The war being over, on the 9th February, 1848, his regiment returned to Vera Cruz, and then embarked on ship American and arrived at Fort Hamilton, N. Y., and was mustered out of United States army, August 15th, 1848, receiving honorable discharge and pay. Went back to Easton, Penn., and followed his occupation of painter. Married Miss Sarah Snyder, of Easton, Penn., September 2, 1849. Has Lad nine children; three sons, six daughters, all living except one son.

Belonged to military company of Easton, called “Citizen’s Artillery.” Followed occupation of painting till breaking out of the late war. With Major Baldy, helped to raise [the] “Easton Guards.” This company offered its services to the State, May 6th, 1861. May 14th, 1861, company accepted and left for Harrisburg, and went into Camp Curtin and became “E” Company, Color Company Twelfth Reserves.

Captain Schelling served in command of “E” Company until August 30, 1862, when he was severely wounded. Returned to duty before Gettysburg and served in command of his company till September 1, 1863, when he was transferred to Veteran Reserve Corps. Reported to Colonel Rush ; was sent out to Fourteenth street, Washington, D. C, to organize five companies of men from the field and from the hospitals of Washington, D. C, to arm and equip them and forward them to the different provost marshals in different States. Was ordered to report to Colonel Bomford at Harrisburg, Penn., who assigned Captain Schelling to “D” Company, Sixteenth United States Veteran Reserves, commanded by Charles M. Provost, formerly of One Hundred and Eighteenth Pennsylvania (Corn Exchange Regiment). All men from “D” Company were from the front and had been wounded, but were able to carry muskets ; were well drilled and disciplined and did excellent and hard work. They were from Massachusetts, Illinois, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Vermont regiments. Commanded this company to end of his service. On G, C. M. here, then ordered to Chambersburg, Penn.; arrived October 3, 1863, under orders of General Couch; did provost duty taking prisoners to Fort Delaware, etc.; was ordered to Elmira, N. Y. , December 25. A. banquet given his command at Chambersburg. Joined Sixteenth United States Veteran Regiment at Elmira; performed provost duty and had charge of the camp here for deserters and bounty jumpers; remained six months, when company and its officers ordered to report to General Pitcher, Provost Marshal of Vermont, at Battleboro. “Whilst here Captain Schelling applied to Secretary of War to join his old regiment in the field; was refused. Received a commission from President Lincoln; remained here three months, then ordered back to regiment at Elmira with Company “D.” There was a prison camp of 21,000 rebel prisoners here; remained six months, then ordered with company to Harrisburg; remained here one month; company then split up and sent to different places. Headquarters of company at Hollidaysburg. Were acting as provost guard along the Pennsylvania Railroad. With company ordered to escort body of Mr. Lincoln from depot to House of Representatives at Harrisburg. Acted as guard of honor as far as Albany, N. Y. Returned to Harrisburg; then to Hollidaysburg, and then with company to Braddock’s Fields, near Pittsburg, where West Pennsylvania Volunteers were mustered out, Major Morehead, being mustering officer, had charge of Govenment property, ordnance, camp and garrison equipage, etc.

Was here mustered out September 13, 1866. Residence, 151 Rose street, Easton, Penn.

City Letter Carrier at USPS | | Website | + posts

Currently a resident of Burke, Virginia - I'm originally from the City of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I have been a student of the Pennsylvania Reserves since 1997 and thoroughly enjoy telling their story. By trade I'm a former IT Professional but presently working as a Letter Carrier for the United States Postal Service.