James B. Robison, Co. G, 10th Pennsylvania Reserves

History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, Bloomsburg, pg. 359.

JAMES BOYD ROBISON, attorney at law, Bloomsburg, was born at Bloomsburg, January 3, 1838, a son of William and Betsy (BARTON) ROBISON. His father being a merchant, he assisted in the store when quite young and acquired an academic education at Bloomsburg. When sixteen years of age in January, 1854, he taught a school in Mifflin Township three months, and August 19, 1854, received the first permanent certificate issued by the county superintendent of Carbon County, and followed by teaching a seven months’ term in the Summit Hill District, same county. In 1855 he served on an engineer corps for two months, laying out the Yeddo Branch of the Hazelton Railroad, and in the fall of 1855 became a student at Lafayette College at Easton, where he remained two years, subsequently, in 1867, receiving the degree of A. M. He went to Washington, D. C., and was engaged in writing patents for the land office for five months. He was then engaged three months keeping books for his brother at Mauch Chunk. In 1858 and the summer of 1859 he spent in Illinois, teaching in Tazewell County, and part of the time in selling books through Henry and Mercer Counties, and during that time attended various political meetings addressed by Abraham Lincoln and Stephen A. Douglas in their famous senatorial contest. The day after the State election deciding that contest, Mr. ROBISON suggested the nomination of Lincoln for President; that was in 1858. In August, 1859, he came to Mercer, Mercer County, this State, and began reading law with Jason T. GIEBNER, Esq., and paid his way while a student by clerking in the sheriff’s office, in that place. In the spring of 1861, when Ft. Sumter was fired upon, he announced his intention of entering the service. The following day he drew up an enlistment paper for the Mercer Rifles, a military company, heading the list with his own name. This company was organized as Company G, Tenth Regiment Pennsylvania Reserve Volunteer Corps, enlisting three years. They left the town June 11, 1861, under Capt. (afterward Gen.) WARNER of silver bill fame. Mr. ROBISON was appointed sergeant of the company, and participated in all the Seven Days’ battle and in the second bull Run battle, in which engagement he was wounded in the left hand, which disabled him to such an extent that he was sent to the hospital; discharged December 18, 1862. In June, 1863, Company H, Thirty-fifth Regiment emergency men, was organized in Columbia County, and on its arrival at Harrisburg the captain was promoted to major, and Mr. ROBISON was elected to the captaincy. This company remained in service until August, and was on duty from Gettysburg to Greencastle. On his return to civil life Mr. ROBISON resumed bookkeeping for his brother a short time, when he returned to Mercer, resumed his legal studies, and was admitted too the bar at Mercer in November, 1863. He then taught school at Sandy Lake that winter. June 1, 1864, he went to Washington, D. C., and became a clerk under Capt. J. T. GIEBNER in the commissionery department, and was assigned to the Ninteenth [sic] Army Corps, under Sheridan in the Shenandoah Valley. September 26, he was captured by rebel stragglers, kept by guerrillas some time, and, October 17, placed in Libby prison and confined there until February 17, 1865. When Mr. ROBISON first enlisted in 1861, he was examined by an army surgeon, and declared unfit for military service on account of heart disease, the surgeon saying he would not live through the excitement of an engagement, and was only accepted after earnest solicitations from him. The result proves that even doctors are sometimes at fault. On his return to Mercer in 1865 he was elected district attorney, served one year of court and resigned; then he removed to St. Louis, and engaged in the real estate business for one year. In 1867 he located at Bloomsburg and began the practice of law; was appointed United States commissioner and served some three or four years, resigning the office in 1872. He was notary public from 1872 to 1875, and has also served his town three terms as c LEONARD BRIGHT RUPERT, Bloomsburg. John Philip RUPERT, the first of the family to come to America, was a native of Germany, born near Guttenburg, in January, 1838. He emigrated as a soldier in 1754, and served four years in the British Army in the French-English war. On the outbreak of the Revolution he became an active and zealous supporter of the American cause, served in the militia as an officer, and was in the army stationed near Trenton at the capture of the Hessians; was also at the battle of Brandywine, and died at Catawissa August 6, 1829, aged ninety-one years. He lived and died in the religious faith of the Reformed Church, and for a long time served as a ruling elder. He married, December 14, 1762, Catherine, daughter of Michael and Catherine ROSCH. To this union were born fourteen children, the eldest being Leonard RUPERT, born at Reading, Penn., October 11, 1763. He also served in the Revolution as a fifer on the war ship “Hyder Ali” under command of Com. Barney, and was in a naval engagement during that war with the British man-of-war “Wasp.” He married Sally BRIGHT in March, 1876; moved and located at the mouth of Fishing Creek, in what is now Montour Township, Columbia County, in 1788, on 220 acres that were bought by his father-in-law, Michael BRIGHT, some years prior, and which was originally purchased by John SPOHN December 31, 1769. This land is now partly occupied by the village of Rupert, and the farming portion left is still owned by the descendants. A daughter of Leonard RUPERT, Mrs. Rupert PAXTON, is now (December 26, 1886) one hundred years old. This land was deeded October 12, 1774 to Michael BRIGHT. Leonard RUPERT died March 11, 1848, and his wife March 17 of the same year. They are buried in Rosemont Cemetery. They had a family of twelve children. Leonard was a man of more than ordinary ability; was self-educated, and served as colonel in the State militia for several years. He was elected about 1804, and served eleven years in the House of Representatives; first at Lancaster and afterward at Harrisburg. He also served for many years as associate judge, and in other local offices. He was reared in the faith of the Reformed Church, but about 1818 united with the Presbyterian Church, to which many of his descendants still adhere. Their children were Catherine, born December 26, 1786, at Reading, married Col. Joseph PAXTON; Peter, born September, 1788, in this county, married Catherine DHIEL; Rebecca, September 26, 1790, married Maj. James SHEARER; Bright, born August 18, 1793, died in 1815; Mary, born April 7, 1795, died unmarried in 1857; Sarah, March 20, 1797, died in 1817; Rhoda Ann, September 26, 1801, died in April, 1875, unmarried; Lavina, September 2, 1803, died in December, 1846, unmarried; Harriet, born January 2, 1806, resides at Bloomsburg; Charles, March 23, 1808, died February 9, 1831; Leonard B., born June 19, 1810; Elizabeth, born July 23, 1799, married Thomas W. LLOYD, and died April 5, 1882. Leonard Bright RUPERT became a clerk in William McKELVY’s store when eighteen years of age. After his marriage he farmed the old homestead for five years, and then opened a general store at Bloomsburg in 1845, which he continued for twelve years. He then retired. Mr. RUPERT is a Democrat, and was appointed in 1839 or 1840 as county treasurer to fill a vacancy caused by the death of the treasurer, and when the appointment expired he was elected to the office for one year and re-elected for two years. He was elected associate judge November 10, 1851, and served five years. He was subsequently appointed justice of the peace, and served a year and a half; was president of the town council two terms (1884 and 1885), and held other local offices. Mr. and Mrs. RUPERT have had nine children, four of whom died young, five are still living: Clara, born December 17, 1832, married November 9, 1858, Dr. W. H. PARK of Springfield, Mo.; Sarah, born November 29, 1834, married Daniel STICK December 28, 1859; Ata, born may 24, 1846, married I. K. MILLER February 16, 1870; Leonard Barton, born January 8, 184 JOHN C. RUTTER, M. D., Bloomsburg, was born near Wilmington, Del., December 12, 1826, a son of Thomas, a farmer, and Sarah (BAKER) RUTTER. At fourteen years of age he left his father’s house and lived with his grandmother in Newcastle Hundred, in the meantime attending the schools of the neighborhood until seventeen. He was then employed as a clerk in Wilmington, and at twenty-one began reading medicine in the office of Dr. Caleb HARLAN of that city. He subsequently graduated at the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania (now known as the Hahnemann) March 3, 1855. The following May he located at Bloomsburg, where he has been in constant practice since, and has enjoyed a large patronage. The Doctor was married August 26, 1848, to Jane CLAYTON of his native place, a daughter of John and Ann (PERKINS) CLAYTON. John CLAYTON was a carpenter by trade; carried on that business in Brandywine Hundred and in Wilmington, Del. He lost his first wife by death in 1857 in Delaware, and was married again and moved to Monroe County, Penn., where he died in 1875, near Strasburg, aged about seventy years. Dr. and Mrs. RUTTER have a family of eight children: the eldest, Lamartine, married a Miss RODEMOYER, and lives in Bellefonte, Penn.; Henry Harlan married a Miss CLOUD, and is editor and proprietor of the Hughesville Mail; Everett WEBSTER, M. D., residing in Luzerne County; Mary Ella, wife of Dr. D. W. CONNER of Wilkesbarre; Adah Louisa, wife of Newton W. BARTON; Margaret; Rachel M. (single), and John Croghan, a printer connected with the editorial department of the Democratic Sentinel at Bloomsburg, and married to a daughter of Dr. J. B. McKELVY February 17, 1887. the family attend St. Paul’s Episcopal Church at Bloomsburg. The Doctor is the pioneer homeopathic physician of Columbia County, being the first of that school to practice within its boundaries. He has always been a firm and consistent temperance advocate on all occasions. Politically, he is a Democratic. His grandfather, Joshua RUTTER, was a native of England and came to this country with a brother, Thomas, who became a merchant at Baltimore previous to, or about 1790. Joshua located on a farm near Baltimore City. His wife’s name was Elizabeth and they reared a family of two sons and two daughters. The sons were John and Thomas, the father of Dr. RUTTER, and who was born about 1792 and died in 1848, near Chester, Delaware Co., Penn., aged fifty-six years. The daughters were Margery and Mary. Joshua’s wife was a native of Sweden, and they were probably married near Baltimore. The grandfather of the Doctor on the maternal side was John BAKER, whose wife was Lydia MARKS. He was a plasterer by trade, and carried on the business in Brandywine Hundred, Newcastle Co., Del., all his life.

City Letter Carrier at USPS | augustmarchetti1980@gmail.com | Website | + posts

Currently a resident of Burke, Virginia - I'm originally from the City of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I have been a student of the Pennsylvania Reserves since 1997 and thoroughly enjoy telling their story. By trade I'm a former IT Professional but presently working as a Letter Carrier for the United States Postal Service.