John B. Crawford, Co. B, 10th Pennsylvania Reserves

Pittsburgh Daily Post (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania), February 20, 1909.

John B. Crawford, a well-known bricklayer of Pittsburgh, is dead at his home, 155 Luna street. He was born in Pulaski, Lawrence county, and came to this city about 25 years ago. He served in the Civil war as sergeant of Company B, Tenth Pennsylvania reserves, under Colonel McCalmont, of Erie. After leaving the army he entered Oberlin college, Ohio, from which place he was graduated and took up the management of the grocery department of the Sharon iron works store, at Sharon, Pa. He left Sharon to take charge of various stores for Kimerly, Filer & Co., of Mercer County. Several years later he engaged in business in Pulaski in partnership with James Walsh. 

In 1885 Mr. Crawford moved his family to Pittsburgh and engaged in bricklaying. In 1892 he started in the contracting business with his son, James. On account of the son going West they dissolved and Mr. Crawford became superintendent for Stevenson & Co., general contractors. The last two years he was in the employ of Semple, Crawford & Gibson.

Mr. Crawford leaves a widow, Mrs. Anna E. Crawford; two sons, James Knox Crawford, superintendent of brick work for L. Leonard, of Los Angeles, Cal; and Jesse Care Crawford, salesman for W.W. Wattles & Son, of this city. 

John B. Crawford (1841-1909) – Find a Grave Memorial

+ posts

Brendon is a history buff who loves American History, especially the American Civil War. He is also a direct descendant of William H. Wagner of the 10th Pennsylvania Reserves. Member of the 9th Pennsylvania Reserves Co. A (Reenacting Unit). Creator of The Blue & Gray Historian on Instagram and Facebook. He is from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.