Oliver H. Young, of the firm of Mitchell, Young & Company, was born in Susquehanna county, Pennsylvania, March 10, 1839, son of George and Mary (Bard) Young. His father was a native of Luzerne county, was a farmer by occupation, and died in Susquehanna county. David Young, the father of George Young, was a native of Chester county, Pennsylvania, and married a Miss Hopkins, of Wyoming. She was one of the refugees of the Wyoming valley massacre. David Young, her son, was a soldier in the war of 1812. George Young died in 1866, and his widow died in 1883; they were the parents of five children: Alice, who married F. P. Hollister, who was once sheriff of Susquehanna county; Jane, who married William Graves; George S.; Oliver H., and John B. [Young], who was A member of Company H, Fourth Pennsylvania Reserves, was wounded in the seven days’ fight before Richmond in 186, and confined in the hospital in Philadelphia, where he died, August 26, 1861. Our subject, Oliver H. Young, received his education in the public schools and at Montrose Academy. He learned the machinist trade, which he followed all through life until April, 1891. Coming to Williamsport in 1867, he took employment with the Williamsport Manufacturing, Company, where he remained four years, afterwards working in the employ of A. T. Nichols until the fall of 1876, when he engaged with Rowley & Hermance, where he remained until he quit the business. He was the last named firm’s first mechanical employee, and was superintendent of their works. In 1887 the firm of Mitchell, Young & Company was established, and Mr. Young has since taken an active interest in its affairs. He is a member of Montrose Lodge, F. and A. M., of the Royal Arcanum, and is a Republican. He was married in 1860, to Ellen L., daughter of William L. Vaughn, and to this union have been born three children: John A., who is draughtsman for the Williamsport Machine Company; Charles M., who is draughtsman for the Brown &Sharp Manufacturing Company, of Providence, Rhode Island, and Harry, who died in infancy. Mr. Young and family are members of the Presbyterian church.
- Per Historian Jay Knarr, “Young was wounded at Gaines’ Mill and transported to Satterlee General Hospital in Philly, where he died of his wounds [August 26, 1862]. He was initially buried in Glenwood Cemetery in Philadelphia but when that cemetery closed in the 1930s his remains were moved to the Philadelphia National Cemetery, where they rest today.”