The 1864 Diary of Albert A. Wright, Company B, 3rd Pennsylvania Reserves

I had copied these documents from the Flur Collection at the United States Army Military History Institute (USAMHI). I then transcribed it from paper to e-copy, where upon some of the content of Wright’s diary was changed/corrected by myself. For example, “Seeder Creek” is now “Cedar Creek.” Some other grammatical errors were also corrected by my self, whereas the previous editor (Flur) did not. Enjoy.


     Albert A. Wright was born in 1838 in Salem Township, Wayne County, Pennsylvania. His grandfather, Nathan Wright, a blacksmith of Litchfield Connecticut, had nine children. Abel, the second oldest and father of Albert, was born in 1798 at Slocum Hollow (Scranton) Pennsylvania. He married Caroline Peet and took up residence in Wayne County. Of their five children (three girls and two boys) Albert was the fourth. Both he and his younger brother Eugene were to serve their country. (Eugene was wounded at Petersburg. [Also served in Co. B, 3rd Reserves, and later Battery A, 2nd Pa. Heavy Artillery.])

     On June 13, 1862 Private Albert A. Wright was mustered into Company B, 32nd Regiment (Third Regiment Pennsylvania [Reserves].) He served as a cook first with the 32nd Regiment, later, after July 4, 1864, with the 54th Regiment. On October 19, 1864 he was taken prisoner and was confined in Libby Prison, Richmond, Va., and in Salisbury Prison, North Carolina. At the latter he, with 10,000 others was nearly starved to death. In March 1865 he was exchanged and sent home.

     After his return to Wayne County, Pennsylvania, he married Sarah A. Hitchcock who bore him six children; Edward, Hattie, Oscar, Albert, William and John. He died in 1904 at the age of 66 and is buried in the village of Hollisterville, Salem Township, Wayne County, Pennsylvania.

     The book itself is small, 3 by 4 ½ inches bound in leather, and the diary covers 78 pages. All entries are in pencil and many of them are quite faded. In transcribing them I have attempted to maintain the spelling and punctuation of the original author. In a few instances, however, the words are illegible, and this is so indicated. Where there is some doubt as to the accuracy of the transcription of a specific word it is followed by a question mark in parentheses.

     It is sincerely hoped that these copies of this hitherto unpublished manuscript will be of interest and value to the many persons who are ever fascinated by the history of our nation and the sacrifices of those who helped to build it.

George J. Fluhr
Jan. 12, 1963


JAN/1: Come off guard nine A.M. and then cooked for bunk No. 1 – Pretty cold for Va.
JAN/2: This morning, [I] got up and cooked breakfast, then went on guard with Capt. W[arren]. G. Moore, officer of the day; too lazy to make the grand rounds.
JAN/3: This morning [I] got up at 5 A.M. [and] took two hours guard and was relieved at 9 A.M. by the 4th Regiment. Then I cleaned my gun and got ready for dress parade and inspection at 5 P.M.
JAN/4: Went on guard [at] 9 o’clock, at 10 it commenced to snow, it stormed all day. Capt. [Harry W.] Sutton [Co. C] is officer of the day. No grand rounds.
JAN/5: This morning [I] went on post [and] found the snow four inches deep. Was relieved by the 4th Regiment, went into camp and cooked for bunk No. 1. Went to the sutlery [and] ordered a coffee pot to be brought in from town. At one o’clock we got marching orders to be ready at a moments notice, [later we moved to] Convalescent Camp and stayed.
JAN/6: This morning the regiment left at 3 o’clock and left six of us behind. We got up at seven and found they had [already started] for Washington. When we got [up] the regiment had been gone half an hour. Then we waited for the baggage train which was to leave at 10 A.M. We got dinner and supper at the retreat, we left [camp] for Harpers Ferry.
JAN/7: We arrived at Harpers Ferry about noon, which is 113 miles from Washington. [We] did not stop [at] Martensburg, we [continued on, and] got there at dark and found the regiment just out[side] of the town. I went [in to] camp and found the boys around a fire. It [soon] commenced to snow. The distance from Harpers Ferry to Martensburg is 18 miles.
JAN/8: This morning [I] got up and found it had snowed about four inches. [We] got orders to pack up at ten o’clock, [and] marched through town about half a mile to the west side. Here[,] we put up our tents and had a very cold time of it.
JAN/9: This morning we got up nearly froze and made coffee and ate boar meat and hard tack for breakfast; the same for dinner. After dinner we carried rails for wood and cooked super and went to bed as usual.
JAN/10: This morning [I ate] breakfast [and] write a letter to Eugene [brother]. After noon, laid around the tent doing nothing.
JAN/11: This morning, [we] drew rations after dinner. [Afterwards] we got rails and fixed our bunks, then cooked supper; the best since we left Convalescent . Pork, beans and fresh bread, coffee and sugar a plenty.
JAN/12: Today [I] laid around doing nothing till night, then we got mail. Nothing for me but a receipt.
JAN/13: This morning [we] put up our tent, then went and stole spikes. After noon, commenced cooking for Comp. B, 3rd Reg’t P.R.V.C.
JAN/14: Today forenoon drew fresh bread, after noon drew one days fresh beef. Night, went to steal a man’s gate, got defeated. Then stole rails and went home. Dress parade, first time since [we left] Convalescent Camp.
JAN/15: Busied myself and cooked as usual. After noon, went and drew rations [for] five days, three days [of] pork and no bread.
JAN/16: This morning, first thing drew one days bread, then three of our boys went out into the country about 3 o’clock, they came in with a sheep. We live gay here. This after noon, I wrote a letter to S. C. Smith. Night, I received a letter from S. C. Smith.
JAN/17: This morning drew bread again, then cleaned my gun. After noon [the regiment was] inspected by Wm. Briner, Major commd. 3rd Regt P.R.V.C.
JAN/18: This morning dark and rainy, doing nothing, only cooking. Rainy night.
JAN/19: This morning I got up and found it raining. It cleared off about noon, then the wind commenced to blow all day, harder and harder till about eight o’clock P.M. I never seen it blow harder in Virginia. About 8 o’clock P.M. it blew down tent No. 3. I was one of the nine lucky ones [who were] left without house or home, so we had to take up our bed and walk, we went into other tents. I went to the cook tent for lodging.
JAN/20: This morning [I] got up [and] went out to the old ruins of the tent, found that no one was hurt, they have commenced to rebuild [it] again. After noon went and drew five days sugar and coffee, three days pork and one day’s bread. Just as we got through, there was a four horse team runaway, [which ran] through a cook tent, it made the bean soup fly, no one hurt.
JAN/21: Cooked as usual, everything quite along the lines.
JAN/22: This morning found everything lovely. After noon drew two days meat, at night my bunk mate went and drew milk from a cow for our supper. Such is life.
JAN/23: This morning found myself sick, could not eat any breakfast; at night [I felt] all right.
JAN/24: This morning [I] was present[ed with] a testament by J. J. Pomeroy, Chaplain of the 3rd P.R.V.C. After noon dress parade and inspection [were held.]
JAN/25: Today drew six days rations and cooked.
JAN/26: Today commenced to read the testament, I read six chapters.
JAN/27: Today [we] drew meat, then [I] went to get weighed, 153 pounds. After noon, went to town with Capt. Moore to get things to cook with. Night, went up the railroad to steal old iron to fix a place to cook.
JAN/28: This morning [I] got up, it is very pleasant. A battalion drill at 11 o’clock, marching orders to be ready to take the cars at any moment. At 2 o’clock we packed up and at sundown we had everything in the cars and was on the move. We are to report to New Creek, the distance of 106 miles from Martensburg, pleasant ride.
JAN/29: This morning when I got up I found myself at Cumberland, and arrived [at] New Creek [at] 7 o’clock. Unloaded our things and waited for the regiment. The distance from Martinsburg to Cumberland __ miles and from Cumberland to New Creek 26 miles. The regiment got here at 4 o’clock then we put our tents up and turned in for the night.
JAN/30: Today [we] fixed our cooking place, then drew rations. At 7 o’clock orders came to be ready to march with one days rations and blanket. I stayed in camp.
JAN/31: Today found the regiment had not come in. Waited all day, and no word. Then news came; the wagon train was captured and they did not know when they would be in.


FEB/1: Today, looked for the regiment until sundown, we found the regiment. Had come within a mile of camp about 8 o’clock. John Marty [probably Pvt. John Martz] come in for rations, he says Company B was left back 8 miles to hold a road to keep the Rebs back.
FEB/2: This morning we hear from them and we sent rations to them, then I wrote a letter. After noon went to take more rations to our boys, distance 5 miles.
FEB/3: Today weather very cold, doing nothing, only cooking for the boys that is left in Camp.
FEB/4: Today weather is pleasant. After noon, drew five days grub. Night, went and ground coffee for Comp B.
FEB/5: This morning [I] got up after breakfast. Cook No. 1 went out to the company with rations and to cook for them and I’m to cook for th[ose] that stay in camp, good times.
FEB/6: Today, wrote a letter and ground coffee. After noon, the Reg came into camp.
FEB/7: Today drew [pair of] pants. Wrote a letter.
FEB/8: Today cold, everything quiet. After noon, [I] commenced to write a letter. After supper, marching orders came to be ready to take the cars at any moment. Today drew one shirt and knapsack. Not going.
FEB/9: Today laid around waiting to go. Night, unpacked and went to bed as usual.
FEB/10: This morning at 8 o’clock, orders to pull down tents and [at] 12 we w[ere] on the cards ready for a cold ride. We got to Martinsburg at 12 [at]night.
FEB/11: Sle[pt] in the cars till morning, like to froze? Unloaded and laid around till noon waiting for the wagons. We went up on our camping ground. At night [we] got everything nice, went and got straw for a bed.
FEB/12: This morning at 5 A.M. [received] orders to march with 3 days rations. At 7 started for Winchester, 22 miles. I was left behind again as usual.
FEB/13: Today doing nothing, only went to town. Night, the Regt. returned.
FEB/14: Today all quiet along the lines. After noon drew five days rations.
FEB/15: Went to town to buy salters[?] goods. Night it commenced to snow; it did not amount to much.
FEB/16: Today stormy, received a letter from home, nothing new.
FEB/17: Today cold as Greenland, and as windy as can be.
FEB/18: This morning pleasant, but cold. Wrote a letter.
FEB/19: Fine day, drew five days rations. After noon, wrote [a] letter.
FEB/20: Cooked as usual. Nothing New. The weather fine, all quite.
FEB/21: Weather pleasant. After noon, inspection by Wm. Briner, Major of the 3rd Regt PRVC and in dress, first time since we have been hre. Night _____(illegible.)
FEB/22: Pleasant today, Washington’s birthday. Great salutes fired in his behalf. Two o’clock, received orders to be ready to go to town on parade. I was down to see the ladies of Martinsburg, no great sight.
FEB/23: Today received a letter from Gene [Eugene H. Wright]. After noon, signed the pay rolls.
FEB/24: Today drew pay for two [months] which is 26 dol[lars]. After noon, marching orders [received]. The regiment left [at] 3 o’clock in the after noon for Veneleave Ville [Van Clevesville, W. Va.], four miles down the Railroad from Martinsburg, we [were] left behind.
FEB/25: Today went to town, got beer. Went to camp, got dinner, then loaded up and went to the camp, put up tents and went to a farm house and got supper.
FEB/26: After breakfast, drew rations. After noon, went to the country to get eggs and milk, then went and got straw for a bed.
FEB/27: Today, Capt. W. G. Moore sent for me. I went to his tent and re-enlisted for three years [un]less sooner discharged. Then I went and was examined by Doct. [John P.] Birchfield of [the] 3rd Regt. P.R.V.C., then was sworn in by Capt. Moltoss [Probably Capt. Albert P. Moulton] of Company F. Therefore, I am fast for three years.
FEB/28: Today [I] got my pants fixed over and had dress parade at night.
FEB/29: Today [I] mustered for two months pay.

MARCH 1864

MAR/1: This morning when I got up, [I] found it snowing. It is about three inches deep. It snowed all day. At night, the snow was about 7 inches deep on the level.
MAR/2: Today pleasant. I went to Harpers Ferry to get mustered in to the U. S. service by 2nd Lieut. Jerry Horten for three years, the distance of 14 miles there and 14 back.
MAR/3: Today fine, I signed some more enlistment papers to get pay with. Night, got my discharge [and] cooking for Company B as usual, I had a furlough put in for me today.
MAR/4: Today [I] signed for a pair of drawers and I got them, everything quiet.
MAR/5: Today, stormy. It commenced to rain about 8 o’clock and cleared off after noon, pleasant.
MAR/6: Cloudy forenoon. After noon, the boys got they’re furlough. Two of them went tonight, and the others stayed till morning.
MAR/7: Today fine, cooked as usual.
MAR/8: Today one of the veterans returned everything quiet along the lines.
MAR/9: Pleasant night. Orders came to be ready to meet Johnny at any moment, false alarm this time.
MAR/10: Today rainy. It commenced in the morning to rain, it was rainy all day, did not clear.
MAR/11: Rainy yet till night, nasty time.
MAR/12: Today fine, it cleared off. Pleasant, went to the station and got pocket book. After noon, went out into the country to buy butter and eggs.
MAR/13: Today wrote a letter to S. C. Smith, after noon Dress Parade.
MAR/14: Today went out into the country to buy eggs. Night, orders to have our harness ready to put on if Johnny reb should come.
MAR/15: Today all quiet.
MAR/16: Today all pleasant, received a letter from Eugene H. Wright.
MAR/17: Saint Patrick’s day, in the morning all funny enough.
MAR/18: Today all quiet.
MAR/19: Today went to Carneys Ville and received 260 dollars bounty.
MAR/20: All quiet, pleasant day, dress parade at night.
MAR/21: Today all quiet.
MAR/22: Today went to Martinsburg and got transportation for Washington. Then went to camp, one o’clock I left for Harpers Ferry, where I stopped to get some papers fixed. The weather cold and snow set up all night for the train and missed them.
MAR/23: Today had to wait for the train till two o’clock in the afternoon. Got to the reler(?) house at 6, had to wait till ½ past 7, got to Washington at 9, put up at a hotel.
MAR/24: Today went up 14th Street to see C. Soper then went to Major Taylor’s office and settled up with Uncle Sam for two years hard labor, then went to Major Reynolds to get my advance pay, then went and got Transportation for Wayne Co. Pa. and took the cars at 5 ½ o’clock and got to Baltimore, the distance of 44 miles. Left at 7 for Harrisburg at two o’clock, at night the distance of 80 miles.
MAR/25: Left Harrisburg at 3 o’clock and got to Northumberland at 8 o’clock, the distance of __ miles, then went on up to Milton and returned to Northumberland, the distance of 15 miles, up for the night.
MAR/26: Left for Scranton, got there at 2 P.M., the distance of __ miles, went to the foot of 6 miles, stayed all night.
MAR/27: This morning went to Greenville, and stayed all night, the distance of 6 miles from Scranton.
MAR/28: Today went to Moscow, the distance of 10 miles and then went to Salem, the distance of 9 miles, then went to W. Wright, the distance of 3 miles, got there at 7 o’clock in the evening.
MAR/29: Today went to the Sugar Camp and back two or three times before noon, after noon went to Salem and return.
MAR/30: Today went to D. Peets and from there to J. Peets and returned.
MAR/31: Stormy day at home.

APRIL 1864

APR/1: Today went to Scranton and stayed over night.
APR/2: Today returned home, it stormed all day.
APR/3: Today went to D. Peets and from there to Aunt Polly’s and stayed all night.
APR/4: Today went to Uncle Sandford’s and from there to the store, and from there to Mr. ____ and returned home at 1 o’clock at night.
APR/5: Today went to Polly (?) to get a load of Hay, evening went to Mr. Sampson’s.
APR/6: Today at Home, after noon went to the Little Chapel to meeting and was worm (?). Went back to Uncle Albert’s and stayed all night. About Midnight got up and killed his dog, and went back to bed.
APR/7: Today went home again, got there in time to get some sugar, wrote a letter to Eugene and received one from lll?
APR/8: Today went to Wm. Turner’s and back home, taken with the Eariplus in the face.
APR/9: Today at home, all quiet along the lines.
APR/10: Today stormy, it snowed all night.
APR/11: Today left Salem for Philadelphia, got there at night.
APR/21: Today left for Washington, got there at 4 o’clock then left for Webster.
APR/23: Got here to night at dark, found the Regiment, they got on the cars for Parkersburg.
APR/24: Got here at 5 o’clock, got on the boat on the Ohio River for the Knawha River.
APR/25: Started up this river for Charleston, tonight arrived at this place twelve miles from Charleston.
APR/30: This morning at 6 o’clock, marching orders [were received]. The regiment marched up the river and left me behind, we took steam boat at night for [Loup] Creek on the Knawha.

MAY 1864

MAY/1: This morning 22? Arrived at [Loup] Creek at nine o’clock.
MAY/2: This morning at daylight started for the fairy up the river, five miles and found the regiment. Then we marched 14 miles to Fayettville.
MAY/3: We left town at 8 o’clock for the next camp, we got here at night, the distance of 15 miles.
MAY/4: Today marched 17 miles to Camp Misery, here at 5 o’clock.
MAY/5: This morning marched 25 miles and camped, very tired.
MAY/6: Today left that place for Princeton, we marched about eight miles and found where the rebs had a picket post last night. This morning when they left we had a little skirmish at Princeton only 2 of our men wounded, the march was 16 miles.
MAY/7: Today we marched 19 miles without trains.
MAY/8: We marched till after noon when the rebs or grileys fired on our train, but did not hit any one, our men returned the fire and killed one man, than they fired in another placed and we killed another, we marched about 25 miles.
MAY/9: This morning, started and they commenced to skirmish [at] 11 o’clock. The battle commenced in earnest, it lasted about five hours, then we drove them, we followed them to Dublin Station the distance of 9 miles.
MAY/10: We left, had not gone far when the cannonading commenced, it lasted till 1 o’clock, the rebs had to run again, the distance of 10 miles. WE arrived at New River and crossed and got there at midnight.
MAY/11: This morning marched nine miles without any fight.
MAY/12: Today we marched to Newport, where we found the rebs in force about 1 thousand strong. They would not fight but run, we then went over the Mountain and camped on the other side, distance of 20 miles.
MAY/13: Today we started again, we had to throw most of the baggage away, I lost my knapsack. We marched about 10 miles where they was going to lay for us but we got the start of them, we drove them back without a fight and we got 3 of them and several of their wagons, we marched 17 miles.
MAY/14: Today we drew one days meat, the first rations in four days, we marched only 5 miles in the mud.
MAY/15: Today marched 6 miles and camped on the other side of Unon [Union?] on a hill.
MAY/16: This morning we left for New Briar River, we marched 13 miles and camped.
MAY/17: Today laid in a mud camp waiting to cross the river.
MAY/18: Today crossed the river and marched 5 miles where we camped.
MAY/19: Today we marched to New Sulpher Springs, there we rested, then we went to Meadow Bluff where we encamped the distance of 12 miles, hard march.
MAY/20: A day of rest in camp and drew rations.
MAY/21: Another day in camp.
MAY/22: Today marched 12 miles to __________ on the Pike, four miles from Lewisburg.
MAY/23: A day of rest in Camp.
MAY/24: Today wrote a letter.
MAY/25: A day in camp.
MAY/26: Write and received a letter.
MAY/27: Drew rations in camp.
MAY/28-29: In Camp.
MAY/30: The regiment went home and Company B was put in with 5 Companys of the 3rd and called the 6th Company F.
MAY/31: Today every thing lovely, dress parade at night under Vs (?) flag, we could not see it there wasn’t a man that went.

JUNE 1864

JUN/1: Marching orders [received], we went 11 miles to Camp.
JUN/2: We marched past White Sulpher Springs, then we marched 1 mile beyond Oval Branch, the distance [of] 19 miles, I got a gun, all quiet.
JUN/3: Today we crossed the Jackson River and marched the distance of 15 miles.
JUN/4: Today we crossed the Alaganias [Alleghenies] Mountains, the distance of 17 miles.
JUN/5: Today we crossed the _______ River, we found the Rebs there. We went on to the gap of the Mountains, there we found them again. Night, went on picket, the distance of the march, it was 13 miles to Goshen Depot.
JUN/6: Today marched down the distance of 6 miles on the Railroad to tear it up.
JUN/7: We marched on within twelve miles of Stanton, then we heard that Stanton was ours, so we left that road, we marched to camp the distance of 20 miles.
JUN/8: This morning we left camp, we marched onto the Stanton Road again, and we arrived at the town of Stanton, the distance of 10 miles where we camped.
JUN/9: A day in camp, wrote a letter, all quiet.
JUN/10: Left Stanton for Lexington, marched 24 miles, skirmished with the enemy for about twelve miles and drove them before us.
JUN/11: Today left camp for Lexington, when we got within four miles of town, our advance commenced to shell the town. After noon, we took the town, the distance of the march 14 miles.
JUN/12: A day of rest in Lexington.
JUN/14: Left camp [at] 4 o’clock, marched to Buchanan, skirmished with the enemy all the way, the rebs burnt the bridge over the James River, the distance of 24 miles.
JUN/15: This morning started at 4 again, we went over the Blue Ridge, skirmished with the enemy, killed one Reb. Lieutenant, marched 16 miles and camped for the night.
JUN/16: We marched four miles to Liberty on the Va. And Tenna. Railroad, then we turned [toward?] Lynchburg, destroying the RRoad as we went, distance was 13 miles.
JUN/17: We marched fifteen miles and found the Rebs, we skirmished with them, we drove them a mile and a half into there entrenchments. Our company was on picket that night, the distance was 17 miles.
JUN/18: This morning we was sent out as skirmishers, we could see the Rebs in force, we then were sent [toward] the right flank, then we were called back. We cooked dinner, [and] soon after the ball opened. I watched the flank at dark, our army commenced to retreat; we marched twenty miles before morning, the distance of 20 miles.
JUN/19: This morning, we cook breakfast then left for Liberty. Marched 8 miles, we came through Liberty where we formed a line of battle and stopped for the night.
JUN/20: This morning at 2 o’clock we started again with the rebs [on] our heels, we marched fourteen miles then at 8 o’clock, stopped for breakfast. After breakfast we went two miles and stopped, and formed a line of battle, we laid there till nine o’clock then started again, we marched all night.
JUN/21: This morning at seven o’clock, we found the Rebs tried to flank us, we ran out a battery to drive them back. They opened on us, it was a nice skirmish, we were too much for them. We then stopped for breakfast, the distance from last night till here is 17 miles, we then left Salem, we marched 11 miles to where we camped for the night, we lost 10 cannon, recaptured 2 of them.
JUN/22: We marched 14 miles to New Castle, where we camped.
JUN/23: This morning [we] marched over two mountains and then took dinner, after noon [we] marched to Sweet Springs, the distance of 25 miles.
JUN/24: Today laid in camp till after noon, then marched to White Sulpher Springs, the distance of 17 miles without taking of Knapsack.
JUN/25: This forenoon, started for Green River, there ate dinner, then went to Meadow Bluff, the distance of 14 miles.
JUN/26: Today [we] marched 23 miles, and camped on the Big [Sewel] Mountains.
JUN/27: Started at daylight, and stopped at Hawks Nest, the distance of 21 miles.
JUN/28: Marched to [Loup] Creek, the distance of 16 miles.
JUN/29: This morning at daylight, started for Camp Piet, got there at 5 o’clock, the distance of 22 miles.
JUN/30: Today in camp, received a letter from Eugene after noon, mustered for pay.

JULY 1864

JUL/1-2: In Camp.
JUL/3: Wrote a letter.
JUL/4: In Camp.
JUL/5: In Camp.
JUL/6: In Camp.
JUL/7: Today packed up and took boat for Parkersburg.
JUL/8: Stopped at Gallipolis, Ohio, and stopped [at] Point Pleasant, Va. and took supper.
JUL/9: Come up there Ohio and got stuck and laid over for the night.
JUL/10: Got our boat loose, and come up the river and camped on the boat.
JUL/11: Today got to Parkersburg then took cars.
JUL/12: Today got to Dry Creek (?) there [we] camped, was formed in a company and attached to the 54 PV Regt, after noon, marched 12 miles.
JUL/13: This morning marched to Martinsburg, 5 miles.
JUL/14: Today in camp.
JUL/15: Marched 17 miles, 1 mile of Harpers Ferry and camped.
JUL/16: This morning got up and went to the regiment at Harpers Ferry, after noon, went to Berlin, the distance of 6 miles, camped.
JUL/17: This morning at daylight we crossed the river, water 3 ½ feet deep, marched to a little town on the Winchester Pike the distance of 18 miles.
JUL/18: This morning went to the Gap, 6 miles, two miles of the River. At noon we went on and crossed and formed a line of battle, and they commenced to skirmish with the rebs, then we fell back to the River and formed a line and soon the ball was opened, they was too much for us, we had to recross the river again, then we went back and camped.
JUL/19: Today laid in the woods, all quiet, only pickets.
JUL/20: Last night the rebs were reported [to be] retreating. Today, we crossed the Shenandoah River, again in place, we went up beyond the battlefield and camped to see to the wounded and bury the dead.
JUL/21: In Camp.
JUL/22: Today marched to Winchester, the distance of 17 miles.
JUL/23: Today [we] marched out and formed a line of battle and fortified ourselves and the Rebs fell back.
JUL/24: This morning the battle was renewed, we were sent out to support a battery about noon, we repulsed and drove to Martinsburg in haste, distance of 22 miles.
JUL/25: This morning we got to Martinsburg and held the place till night with a fight, then retreated and crossed the Potomac at Williamsport the distance of 14 miles.
JUL/26: Today went to Shepardstown and had a little skirmish, distance 12 miles.
JUL/27: Today went to Harpers Ferry the distance of 10 miles.
JUL/28: Today wrote a letter, at five o’clock started for Halltown, recorssed the Potomac, the distance of 6 miles.
JUL/29: Today in camp and drew clothing.
JUL/30: This after noon we recrossed the river and marched 13 miles towards Frederick City and camped for the night.
JUL/31: This morning renewed our march, we marched 20 miles.


AUG/1: This morning turned in my gun, we then marched about two miles and camped at Woolfeville.
AUG/2: Today in camp, wrote a letter.
AUG/3: This morning at 3 A.M. we left Woolfeville, we marched 22 miles, we went through Frederick City and camped on the southwest side, five miles from the town.
AUG/4: Laid in camp.
AUG/5: Today the men of this department to see a man shot for deserting.
AUG/6: This morning at 4 A.M. we left for Harpers Ferry, the distance of 22 miles.
AUG/7: This day in camp.
AUG/8: All quiet. After noon inspection and then we marched across the potomac river and up the Shenandoah, the distance of 6 miles.
AUG/9: Today in camp.
AUG/10: This morning at 4 A.M. we started up the River 20 miles to Sneepers [Sheppard’s?] Ford, then we went to Berryville.
AUG/11: Today marched to Ashby’s Gap, the Cavalry had a fight with the enemy, we marched 15 miles.
AUG/12: This morning we left for Middletown, the distance of 10 miles. There we got dinner then the regiment was thrown out as skirmishers on the left, there was not a very big fight, at dark we went back and formed a line and rested for the night.
AUG/13: A day of rest.
AUG/14-15: In camp at Beedes Creek.
AUG/16: Went out with a part for hay, returned to camp and there was orders to march at 8 P.M. We marched within one mile of Winchester and camped, got there [at] 3 o’clock in the morning, distance of 16 miles.
AUG/17: Stayed here till 9 A.M. then we went [to] Barryville, the distance of 13 miles.
AUG/18: This morning we went a few miles and stopped to draw rations, distance 6 miles.
AUG/19: In Camp.
AUG/20: We went within two miles of Charleston.
AUG/21: This morning we went out and formed a line of battle, we held our line till after dark with only skirmishing, then we fell back to Halltown the distance of 6 miles.
AUG/22: This morning we formed another line of battle and commenced to fortify with skirmishing in front.
AUG/23: All quiet only skirmish, night, the regiment went out on the skirimish line, I remained in the rifle pits to hold that place.
AUG/24: Today light skirmish, otherwise all quiet.
AUG/25: All quiet behind the front.
AUG/26: Received letter from H. C. Tripp.
AUG/27: This morning all quiet, the enemy has left our front last night.
AUG/28: This morning marching orders [we received], we marched out about two miles and then formed a line of battle and laid there till 3 o’clock, then we went out beyond Charleston and camped, 4 miles distance.
AUG/29: In Camp.
AUG/30: Went out on picket.
AUG/31: Came in off picket and was mustered for pay.


SEP/1: All quiet in camp.
SEP/2: This morning signed the pay rolls. After noon moved camp. Night, we drew pay to the 1st of July, $96.30 cts.
SEP/3: This morning we went to Berryville, got there at noon, se stayed til night ______ _______ [illegible] in camp, we [went] out on picket and we met the Rebs. I went to camp, the ball opened, I went back [to] the wagons.
SEP/4: This morning went back to the Regt, they fell back 1 mile and formed a line.
SEP/5: Today we moved in line on the left flank and are fortifying.
SEP/6: Last night commenced to rain and is raining yet…all quiet.
SEP/7: In camp, one mile from Berryville.
SEP/8: This morning went on picket, just as we got there we got orders to march, we went up [to] our lines the distance of 4 miles to the right towards Bunker Hill, and camped with the wagon train.
SEP/9: In camp, drew 4 days rations.
SEP/10: In camp doing nothing.
SEP/11: Today we had inspection.
SEP/12-13-14: In camp.
SEP/15: Inspection of arms.
SEP/16-17: In Camp.
SEP/18: This morning inspection, after noon, [received] marching orders, we went about ½ a mile and returned to camp.
SEP/19: This morning at 4 o’clock, we marched down the Bunker Hill pike and formed a line of battle, we cooked dinner , then we started for the front, our men drove the enemy past Winchester the distance of 6 miles. I stopped this side of town.
SEP/20: This morning I got up and went out the pike two miles where we found the regiment in line, we went to Seider [Cedar] Creek, the distance of 16 miles with the enemy in our front.
SEP/21: This morning laying in a piece of woods, we went 2 miles with heavy skirmishing.
SEP/22: We stopped and stacked arms and knapsacks, and formed a line in a piece of woods, then we went and got our things and went on the right flank, I fell out, there the boys drove the enemy from the Hill, I went to Stroudsburg.
SEP/23: This morning I went and found the regiment, we went to Woodstock, the distance of 10 miles.
SEP/24: This day went to New Market, I got behind the regiment, the regiment went on picket the distance of 23 miles.
SEP/25: This morning fell in with the wagons and went to Harrisonburg, the distance of 20 miles.
SEP/26: This morning went and the Regt. [Probably means the regiment caught up with the wagons this morning.]
SEP/27: In camp at Harrisonburg.
SEP/28: This morning orders [were received] to be ready to march at 5 o’clock, at 8 o’clock the orders [were] countermanded.
SEP/29: Today all quiet.
SEP/30: This morning went out after foraging, the distance of 6 miles, and 6 back.


OCT/1: All quiet in camp.
OCT/2: Wrote a letter, after noon, heavy cannonading in front, orders to be ready to fall in at a moments notice.
OCT/3: Orders to be ready to march at 5 o’clock, sent 75 dollars home by Sharp L. Swingoll [Swingle.] Went to town and got some bread.
OCT/4: Moved camp.
OCT/5: Drill and dress parade.
OCT/6: We marched at 7 o’clock, we went through New Market and camped at Mount Jackson, the distance of 24 miles without a fight.
OCT/7: We left and went two miles beyond Woodstock and stopped for dinner, then went two miles and camped for the night, distance of 17 miles.
OCT/8: Went to Middletown the distance of 15 miles and stopped at John Wm. Wrights and the regiment stopped at Fishers Hills.
OCT/9: Stayed there, heard the regiment was coming back.
OCT/10: This morning the 6th Corps went to Front Royal, distance 8 miles, I went to Stroudsburg and back to town.
OCT/11: Went and found the regiment at Seeder [Cedar] Creek.
OCT/12: Wrote a letter.
OCT/13: This after noon, the Rebs shelled our camp, we got out in a hurry. Our division went over to see how many there were.
OCT/14: Last night, I found the regiment, this morning we went out to support the pickets and stayed till after dark.
OCT/15: Today went out on picket, wrote a letter.
OCT/16: On picket today.
OCT/17: Today was relieved and went to camp.
OCT/19: Taken Prisoner.
OCT/23: Arrived at Richmond Prison.


NOV/2: Left for N. Carolina.
NOV/4: We arrived at Salisbury, North Carolina Prison.


DEC/24: Justes [Justice] Brunson Died in Salisbury Prison, North Carolina.




FEB/14: Drew one woolin blanket.
FEB/18: One shirt.
FEB/20: Left Salisbury for Richmond, Va.
FEB/24: Arrived at Libby Prison, Richmond.

MARCH 1865

MAR/2: Paroled at Richmond.
MAR/13: Was released from prison and arrived within our lines.

I think it was the last of March ’65, I came home from Camp Parole.